Danny Boyle Debuts ’28 Years Later’ Trailer as He Reveals Financing Still Needed to Complete Trilogy
The undead action of 28 Years Later helped bring life to .
Director took the stage for the presentation at the Las Vegas, where he debuted the latest trailer. The filmmaker joked that he hasn’t learned much since making the original 28 Days Later, which hit theaters in 2002.
“I still love an apocalypse, British-style,” Boyle said. “I still love the infected. And I still love blowing shit up.” He also teased that fans will have to be patient to see 28 Days Later original star in the new planned trilogy: “Like all good things in life, you may have to wait a little while for him to make his appearance.”
Related Stories
Also hitting the stage was , who directed the forthcoming second film, : The Bone Temple. “While it’s very much informed by 28 Days Later, the script for The Bone Temple is very different,” DaCosta told the crowd. “I was able to let my freak flag fly.”
Boyle also shared that the team has not yet finalized financing for the hoped-for third movie in the franchise and encouraged fans to support the first two movies.
28 Years Later stars , and . Boyle helmed the new film from a script by Alex Garland, who penned the initial feature.
Last year, The Hollywood Reporter reported exclusively that the long-gestating feature follow-up, in addition to a second film, had landed at Sony Pictures, with Garland penning scripts for a planned trilogy. THR reported that Cillian Murphy, who starred in 28 Days Later and won an Oscar in 2024 for his titular role in Oppenheimer, would serve as executive producer for the new project. Producers include Boyle, Garland, Andrew Macdonald, Peter Rice and Bernie Bellew.
DaCosta, who helmed the 2023 release The Marvels, is directing 28 Years Later: The Bone Temple, with the second film in the planned horror trilogy set to hit theaters Jan. 16, 2026. Boyle has said that he will be directing the trilogy’s third film, if it indeed gets made.
28 Days Later centered on Murphy as a coma patient who awakens alone in a hospital and learns that the world was overtaken by the undead 28 days prior. The movie surpassed $80 million at the global box office and was followed by the 2007 sequel 28 Weeks Later, although Boyle and Garland were involved only as executive producers.
CinemaCon is the annual event for exhibitors and Hollywood studios that runs this year from March 31 to April 3. It is presented by Cinema United (formerly the National Association of Theater Owners).
Comments (0)